About Us

Student health 101

Special Exception Registration


Students with certain disability-related needs may qualify for special exception registration at Cal Poly. The purpose of special exception registration is to ensure students with disabilities have equal access to academic courses. It is incumbent upon the student to demonstrate he or she would be denied equal access to the curriculum without special exception registration. Only a small percentage of students with disabilities are granted special exception registration. The DRC strives to provide this service to students with well-documented and justifiable needs.

Who can request Special Exception Registration?

Special Exception Registration is available to DRC students:

  1. With mobility impairments that adversely impact their ability to get from class to class in a timely fashion
  2. Who need to frequently arrange for on and off-campus service providers (personal care assistants, etc.).
  3. Who cannot attend classes during certain parts of the day due to documented medical needs (chemotherapy, renal dialysis, etc.).
  4. Who use services requiring significant planning on DRC's part to arrange (interpreting, CART, Braille, etc.).

What is the process for requesting Special Exception Registration?

Students who believe they are eligible based upon the above criteria should discuss their request with their Access Specialist and may be asked to submit an Accommodation Request Review Form. Eligibility is based upon appropriate documentation of the disability and is determined on a case-by-case basis. Each student's request will be considered by an Access Specialist and/or the Accommodation Review Committee. An Access Specialist may request additional documentation from the student to support their request. Special exception registration can be granted on a long or short-term basis. The DRC determines eligibility for special exception registration for students with disabilities.

If granted Special Exception Registration, when will it begin?

As soon as possible. In most cases, special exception registration will begin at the next registration period after approval. However, the DRC must forward the names of approved students to the Records Office several weeks prior to registration; therefore, students approved in the weeks leading up to a registration period may not have special exception unit the next quarter.

Could I ever lose Special Exception Registration?

Yes. Students may have special exception registration withdrawn due to a change in disability status or if it is not used for the reason it has been approved.

Can I appeal a decision if I am not granted Special Exception Registration?

Yes, by following these steps:

1. Students are encouraged to engage in the interactive process by completing the Accommodation Request Review Form (which may include a request for additional documentation)

2. If the student is not satisfied with the outcome of the appeal, the student can meet with the Dean of Students who will assess the request and advise the DRC.

3. If special exception registration is still not granted, students wishing to formally file an appeal should review the campus Policy and Procedures for Resolving University 504/ADA Student Accommodation Disputes.

4. If the student wishes to pursue a formal complaint, an Appeal/Accommodation Complaint Form must be filed with the Dean of Students within thirty (30) calendar days of the time the complainant could reasonably be expected to have had knowledge of the alleged discriminatory action.



Related Content


Location: Bldg 124 (Student Services, across from Spanos Stadium)
Phone: 805-756-1395
Fax: 805-756-5451
Email: drc@calpoly.edu

Give Today

A group of young people looking very excited

Give Today

Strategic Plan

Get the Student Affairs Strategic Plan

Get the plan here