About Us

Student health 101


At the University level, students have the right not to be identified as disabled. For this reason, students must take the initiative to contact the DRC and request academic accommodations. The student must provide the DRC with written documentation of the disability from a diagnosing professional.

Each student who contacts the DRC is assigned to work with an Access Specialist who is knowledgeable in the student's area of impairment. The assigned Access Specialist will determine, based upon the documentation submitted, whether the student's impairment meets California's statutory definition of a disability. Under state law, individuals are eligible to receive reasonable accommodations on the basis of disability if they have a physical or mental impairment that limits a major life activity.

If the impairment rises to the level of disability, the Access Specialist will notify the student of eligibility and will provide information regarding how to request necessary reasonable academic accommodations.

Eligibility Information:


Additional Information

For more information, the Association on Higher Education and Disability (AHEAD) presents the following conceptual framework to support appropriate practices in providing seamless access through equal treatment and the provision of accommodations: Supporting Accommodation Requests: Guidance on Documentation Practices.




Related Content


Location: Bldg 124 (Student Services, across from Spanos Stadium)
Phone: 805-756-1395
Fax: 805-756-5451
Email: drc@calpoly.edu

Give Today

A group of young people looking very excited

Give Today

Strategic Plan

Get the Student Affairs Strategic Plan

Get the plan here