Request a Notetaker
How do I request a notetaker?
- To request a notetaker, go into your Student Accommodations portal. Next to each of your classes will be an option to request a notetaker (a check box.) Please be careful about requesting for lab classes as it may not be needed.
- IT IS CRITICAL that you watch your email for a request from the DRC asking you to confirm the need for a notetaker for each class. The DRC asks for this confirmation as a number of students change their minds after the first couple of classes. Know that we begin looking for a notetaker from the moment you put in your request.
Please note: For every notetaker request a multi-step process begins. Given the substantial resources put in to each request and the need to find notetakers as quickly as possible, it is critical that any changes be communicated immediately. For example, if you no longer need a notetaker please cancel your request by simply selecting “NO” in the confirmation email that you receive from the DRC.
Requests for a notetaker after the 4th week will need to be preapproved by your Access Specialist. Please contact the front desk at 805-756-1395 to schedule an appointment.
How do I find my notes?
Once a notetaker has been assigned and begins uploading notes, you will receive an email notification that notes have been posted to your Student Accommodations portal. When you log into the portal, look on the left side of the screen under My Accommodations and click on Notetaking Services. You will then be able to access any notes that have been uploaded.
If you have any questions or challenges, please contact the notetaking staff at DRCnotes@calpoly.edu or call 805-756-5764.
1st: Student places a request for a volunteer notetaker in AIM (“AIM” is the “Student Accommodations” portal).
- Requests made before the quarter begins - classmates will be emailed before the first day of classes, asking them to be a volunteer notetaker.
- Requests made after classes have begun - classmates will be emailed within 2 weekdays of the request, asking them to be a volunteer notetaker.
- Students should consider contacting their Access Specialist to learn about the following options that could support notetaking until a volunteer is found: Livescribe smartpen, Audio Notetaker, and OneNote. You can also learn more about these tech options by visiting Notetaking Technology Comparison.
- Know that we begin looking for notetakers from the moment you put in your request. If you receive an email asking you to confirm your request, you must respond as soon as possible.
2nd: If a volunteer notetaker has not been found by the end of the first week of the quarter, DRC will immediately send out a 2nd email to classmates, asking them to volunteer.*
3rd: If a volunteer notetaker has not been found by the end of the second week of the quarter, the DRC will place an ad in the Mustang Daily for a paid notetaker position.*
Please reach out to your Access Specialist about any concerns you may have regarding your notetaking needs.
*For students who make a request after the term has begun, they should expect to to be matched with a notetaker within 10 weekdays of their request.
Location: Bldg 124 (Student Services, across from Spanos Stadium)